Total Pageviews

Friday, October 7, 2016

Florence, Colorado: All The Single (And Married) Ladies Love Robert Redford

In a previous blog post, I mentioned that interest in Jane Fonda seemed a bit higher in Florence--the antiques capital of Colorado--than for Robert Redford.

Well, that changed today.

Filming for the Jane Fonda and Robert Redford movie, Our Souls At Night, was happening at Fremont Lanes today. I've never been inside the bowling alley, but I hear it's one of only a few six-lane historic venues left.

I happened to have a bird's eye view of the bowling alley most of the day. And then I spotted Robert Redford once. Then twice. I lost count at about six times.

Last week folks came in the antiques mall, where I work, and asked if I had seen Jane. No.

Ah, but today I was asked if I had seen Robert. Yes. From afar.

And the "lady" asking the question was nine years old. She was very wistful in asking, hinting and almost begging if she could see Robert. I told her I had no status, but perhaps if she asked one of the crew they might tell her when and how she could see him.

Then the truth came out. I asked,"Who is it who REALLY wants to see Robert?"

It was the girl's mother. Darn little charmer. She almost had me convinced.

The mother and her winsome daughter came back later and said the crew said there would be no contact or autographs until Oct. 11 when there would be a meet and greet. I wasn't able to find out what time or where, but I will update if and when I find out.

Another local antiques dealer and store worker was trolling the streets and got a picture of Robert, right before a car went by and almost ruined our pictures.

One time when Robert walked out of Fremont Lanes, a small group of middle-aged ladies screamed across the street,"Oh, Robert! Come over here!"

But mostly all the ladies, young and older, were quite dignified.

A few came in the antiques mall and wondered if Robert Redford was still handsome.

I can report that he is. I got just one distant picture, where you cannot tell. But a neighboring shop owner got a close-up picture of him that proves it. But that photo is stuck on my phone. I am not very adept with technical things, but will attempt to post it.

But here's my distant picture of the actor and storyteller whose popularity is at quite the fever pitch in Florence.


He's wearing a red plaid shirt and entering the bowling alley.

Another fan came by and said she wanted Robert to sign a horse book that she had of his.

And yes, I finally caught two glimpses of Jane Fonda around the bowling alley. She seemed very animated and engaged and it was a pleasure to even see these two professionals from afar working hard all day long while I attempted to keep their enthused fans happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment