Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Florence,Colorado: What Is The True Story Club Blog?

What is the True Story Club blog? Actually it's a covert mission.

You think I jest, but that's partially true.

I'm a very private person, but I'll share a little backstory.

Ever since I was little, I was nosy--I mean curious. About people. What they were doing and why they were doing it.

I accidentally stumbled into the journalism game when I was young with little training on a small town newspaper in another state. The highlight of my career, at that newspaper, was either taking a picture of the county's biggest squash or being shocked when I called famed attorney Melvin Belli's house and he actually answered and talked to me.

Shyness and journalism don't work together that well. I find it hard to speak in public, but somehow I managed to muddle through.

I only had a year of formal journalism training in school. So, I didn't know what I was doing. And still don't. But I managed to score a few freelance newspaper and magazine gigs. Yes, one was writing for True Story magazine.

So, why not name a blog, True Story Club? Everyone has a story. And some people don't feel comfortable sharing their stories with people knowing who they are.


This is as close to revealing who I am, as I will get on this blog. That's me at a gathering in Florence, Colorado where someone painted my face to look like a cat. Meow!

Why am I so shy? You'd probably not know it if you met me. One reason is, even in minor writing, one does receive not-very-pleasant communications at times. And sometimes one receives very nice communications. It all depends on if people like what you are writing. If they don't--it can get ugly at times.

So, this blog is a semi-covert operation. I usually sneak up on people in Florence, Colorado (the antiques capital of Colorado) and write something about them on my blog. It's all with good intent. And it's all free. My main goal is to give people a glimpse of fun and quirky things in southern Colorado, especially Florence. And a taste of small town living.

There is never a charge for what I write, even if it's about a business or commercial operation. I do it for fun and to give this area a little boost.

I have a theory that Florence is harboring some of the most famous and talented people in Colorado. And I think if you browse this blog, you'll find that my speculation when I moved here a few years ago is true. And I have yet to even scratch the surface of all the interesting people living here and all the activities and pursuits in Fremont County.

Many people behind the businesses and activities I highlight on this blog aren't even aware they are being showcased until they come across it on the Internet or a friend tells them. And the people I do tell, they have no idea who I am and what my blog is about--and surprisingly enough NOT one person has refused to share a little of their story with me on the spot without knowing many details. That proves to me that most people are wonderful and that EVERYONE has a true story to share.

It also helps that I work in the heart of Florence's antiques district and most people might not know my name, but know I work in Florence and work hard to make sure that everyone who passes through Florence has a wonderful and welcoming experience.

Do you have a true story you'd like to share for possible inclusion on this blog? For businesses and commercial and artistic ventures, I prefer to stick to southern Colorado. But if you have a personal story of general interest about your family roots, political opinions or experiences, etc.--that is fine too. Anonymous is fine also, if the story is very personal or controversial.

Submit to: FlorenceColorado@yahoo.com

Because everyone has a true story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment