Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Florence, Colorado: Is A Hip Antiques Capital & That Ain't No PULP Fiction

I've always considered Florence, the antiques capital of Colorado, a beacon of hippery. But I'm old enough to break a hip in a geriatric slip-and-fall and make up questionable words like hippery to amuse myself.

So, I was sitting on my aging keister today at my workplace--The Loralie Antiques Mall at 109 W. Main St. Now, I usually don't admit where I work publicly. NOT because I am ashamed of this fine business--but, alas, I am a bit of a loose canon and don't wish to reflect poorly on such a fine establishment.

Anyway, the manager of the Loralie and I were sitting, ahem, working, and talking about the upcoming car show in May (that is tripling in size from last year) a battle of the bands event coming to Florence and the Steampunk Festival. I was clacking my claws together and exclaiming that our fair burg is finally getting on the map for some pretty awesome events. Actually we were talking about even MORE awesome upcoming events, but I have to work tomorrow and don't have time to list them all.

We were talking about what a fantastic, hip place Florence is. We have great eateries. A new East Indian/Nepalese restaurant opening soon--and on and on. Two new shops just opened. And these events help get out-of-towners to see what we see every day.

And almost the moment we were done getting excited about all these interesting things--right on cue, three young people burst through our door. One had a video camera. They asked if it was OK if they taped. They were so enthused, I said yes, before I totally understood what was going on.

And what was going on was pretty tasty if you ask me. They asked if I had heard of PULP. Of course I have! As the person in the running for the nosiest, um, I mean most inquisitive person in Florence, I know about most media in southern Colorado. And Pulp is a weekly newsmagazine with an edge and objectivity that I've enjoyed every time I go to Pueblo.

Seems PULP is expanding its social media reach for the 18 to 30 crowd, through its Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/pulpnewsmag/ with a new feature entitled, TWIST.

And Florence was chosen as the first subject for, TWIST.

 From l to r: Shanice Penn(co-host); Jordan Cushman (co-host) and Keelan Bailey (cameraman/producer)

Co-hosts of the new PULP-sponsored, TWIST, Shanice Penn and Jordan Cushman; and cameraman Keelan Bailey explained the challenge was for the co-hosts to visit Florence and to find an unusual antique item (for under $25) and having NO idea what the item was. The person who found the most unusual I-don't-know-what-the-heck-it-is item, won. Won what, I have no idea. But I'm all for reverse scavenger hunts that thrill people. And I guess we'll all have to tune into the TWIST at the Facebook page (scheduled for March 6) and see what they won and see more about their adventure in Florence. https://www.facebook.com/pulpnewsmag/

Well, I know in part what they won. One heck of a fun time. A customer came up to the counter after they left and said she'd seen them in another store and they were having a blast.

Shanice, Jordan and Keelan all said they were having a great time in Florence and had visited The Pour House Coffee Shop--and thought it was one of the most interesting places with its coffee roaster. True!

I hate to ruin the surprise since Shanice had me hide the tag in the bag for her purchase, since she couldn't know what it was at this time. It's a blow torch! Whew hoo! Great pick on Shanice's part , because all them were on fire, not only with enthusiasm for this new project, but with being true professionals so early in their careers.


And that dear readers is a case of serendipity. We happen to be sitting around the antiques mall saying that Florence is a beacon of hippery, chockful of really remarkable things, people, festivals, eateries, art and culture--and then these young folks show up unannounced and confirm we were correct.

You can learn more about PULP at: https://pulpnewsmag.com/



2 comments:

  1. Oh look I'm blogging .... lol "1st timer"
    Great article and enjoyed the "gang" from the Pulp....
    Thanks to all

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Keep on blogging, as I always say. Well, I don't always say that--but when I do, I mean it!

    ReplyDelete