Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 30, 2017

My Love Affair With Colorado

Have you ever been to Colorado?

If you have, you know it's a special place.

I've had the privilege of seeing most of the United States of America through being in a military family.

When I was 10 years old we landed in Colorado Springs at Ft. Carson where my father was stationed. In those days children usually walked to school and every school day I would see Cheyenne Mountain on my walk to school.

I would look at that mountain (mostly unaware of the military secrets the mountain held). And one day, my 10 year-old-mind told me that someday I would return. We were only stationed there a short while, but Colorado left its impression on me.

And I did return.


It took nearly 20 years, but I made it back to Colorado with precious memories of a 10 -year-old.

I've been to 43 states and while all had their charms--only Colorado impressed itself on my heart, soul and mind.

OK, Hawaii came a close second. But there is something about Colorado. And it does have to do with the mountains and the scenery. But what draws people to Colorado is something I have yet to totally define.

There is some sort of magic here. Some sort of  indefinable something that I will spend the rest of my days attempting to define. But in the meantime--I simply enjoy it.

I thought I was the only person who felt this way. I have run into other people, in casual encounters, who have told me, a random family camping trip as a child evoked the same feeling in them. That someday they knew they would return to Colorado when they were old enough to make it happen.

Yes, it's partially the scenery. We know that Colorado inspired the song, American The Beautiful. It's the people also. Because even in the midst of scenery and mountains that make me feel so small and insignificant in the universe and also so strong and powerful and with soul soaring--there is something more that is special about this place. And again, I can't define it. But everyday, I enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment