Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Confessions Of An Antiques Store Worker: There's No Place Like Florence, Colorado

True story. Oh, wait that's the name of this blog. But true story. I was in Pueblo this weekend, browsing in the antiques district on Union.

Wait, before you call me a traitor to Florence the antiques capital of Colorado--where I live and work--let me explain.

This is only the second time  I've been to the antiques district in Pueblo in my entire life. The last time, I only had time to visit one store--and this time, browsed three of them. I was suitably impressed and even bought a few things. But deep in my heart, I was thinking I liked Florence, and not just because I work there and know a few antiques dealers.

I had a $5 vintage nut chopper in my mitts and was in the basement section of one of the antiques malls in Pueblo and getting ready to go upstairs and checkout, when I heard a voice.

"Ma'am? Are there any other places in southern Colorado like this?"

I turned around to see a middle-aged man with a sincere face. "I just love antiques and historical buildings. Are there more places like this? I am new to the area."

I was just ready to open my mouth and say," Well, let me tell you about this little town about 30 miles up the road called Florence."

But he continued," I know about Florence. I was just there. And wow--that town is, well... Just filled with historic buildings and antiques."


"Hmm," I replied," I just happen to live there and work in an antiques mall there. You do know Florence is the antiques capital of Colorado?"

He did not know that. But what he told me was the he had just relocated to Pueblo a few months ago from Washington State, where is HIS opinion there was no culture. At least in the section of the state he came from. He was wowed, delighted and enchanted by Pueblo's district and the beauty and uniqueness of Florence.

He said of Florence," Why it's so amazing. I've never seen so many antiques stores. You can stroll there and then just walk a few feet and be eating at Quincy's."

For those who don't know--Quincy's is a semi-new addition to Florence's Main St. It is almost always packed--and that is no wonder. The food is great and the prices are fantastic. And it's located in a historic building and decorated to warm the hearts of anyone who loves history and antiques.

This recent Pueblo transplant almost felt like he had dropped into an alternate universe filled with culture, historic buildings, beauty and antiques everywhere. He was eager to explore southern Colorado further.

I told him that Walsenburg was a fairly good bet with an antiques mall and few good funky shops and historic buildings. But I told him he already had really hit the goldmine with Pueblo's antiques district and discovering Florence. He agreed. He walked off thanking me profusely and with rather with a dazed and happy look on his face.

I guess us locals are rather used to all the culture and history and beauty in southern Colorado. It was fascinating to run into a stranger and newcomer who reminded me just how special southern Colorado is.


No comments:

Post a Comment