Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Politically Incorrect Antiques: Who Says Antiques Can't Be Funny & Fun?

Who says antiques can't be fun and funny? You won't hear that from me.



I am NOT an antiques expert--but I like to play one on the internet. Actually I spent about 15 years selling antiques, collectibles and plain junk on the internet, so I never got to meet any of my customers in person.

So, when we moved to Florence--the antiques capital of Colorado, I began working in some of the antiques stores. And antiques dealers are a humorous lot--which I never realized.

We sit around laughing and joking about our antiques, other people's antiques and the paradox that is attempting to know what people want to buy. The day one decides that a pile of stuff that has been sitting on one's booth is sheer junk, a mistake, a lapse in judgement and needs to be carted off--is usually the day someone comes in and falls in love with it and buys it all.

And usually when you've found a piece that you think is so fine, so exquisite and magnificent--is the day you overhear someone chuckling that it is weird.

But here's what you often find antiques dealers chuckling over the most--politically incorrect antiques. I personally chuckle the most over clown collectibles and antiques and have made outrageous fun of those oddities in previous blog posts.

So, in honor of having fun in the antiques trade, occasionally I'll highlight a politically incorrect antique or collectible. Just to be clear--some of these antiques or collectibles, I'd have in my own home. I'm not making fun of the dealers or the items necessarily--just how times have changed with modern science and knowledge and how some items are hopelessly hysterical and amusing when viewed through the lens of modern times.(I have to say that because I don't want to be politically incorrect and offend anyone).  And it's most often customers that will come in and laughingly comment on what fun it is.

So, what antique or collectible cracks you up the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment