Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Who Says Antiques Can't Be Fun? ITO'S Japanese Restaurant

Who says antiques can't be fun? Hardly anyone I've ever known. Rather, working in an antiques mall can be fun.

This week--Confessions Of An Antiques Store Worker--is about a fun encounter I had recently.

A gentleman and his wife came into ye olde antique shop and announced they were from Woodland Park and come to Florence every six months or so, to find out what treasures there are.

But they hadn't been to Florence in over a year. It was a Monday and most every restaurant was closed. He said they were faint from hunger and could I recommend a place that was good--and, um, open.

Why yes I could! Ito's Japanese Steak House at 106 W. Main St. For those True Story Club readers that missed my review on Ito's, you may read it at: http://truestoryclub.blogspot.com/2015/04/eating-our-way-across-colorado-ito.html

                                      BENTO BOX AT ITO'S JAPANESE IN FLORENCE

The man found a book on an obscure subject in ye olde antiques mall that he thought he would never find in Florence, or most anywhere for that matter and then they went to Ito's.

The couple returned to ye olde antiques mall over an hour later and told me they came back just to tell me that Ito's was--FANTASTIC! And to thank me for the recommendation. My pleasure.

It turns out the lady had been a Japanese foreign exchange student many years ago--and was very familiar with authentic Japanese food. How did Ito's stack up? The miso soup--just like Japan!

She told me the owners of Ito's are actually Indonesian and they chatted about authentic Indonesian cuisine, and the lady from Woodland Park hopes they will add an Indonesian dish or two to the menu.

This couple, were world travelers. So I asked how this restaurant, tucked in a tiny, semi-isolated location stacked up. For those blog readers who missed my post--I asked one of my friends, also a world traveler, how Ito's stacked up. Here's that previous post: http://truestoryclub.blogspot.com/2015/05/what-first-time-visitor-thinks-of.html

The Woodland Park couple said they would be dragging every friend they knew to Ito's--it was that good. Actually the man said, "no dragging" would be involved after their friends ate at Ito's.



They marveled that such a world-class restaurant was in Florence. I didn't take offense. I knew exactly what he meant. Florence is a burg of about 3,900. But there is a lot of talent in this town, that is totally unexpected. NOT that we don't expect to find talent in small towns--we just don't expect such talent-based enterprises to get the attention (and revenue) they deserve due to a lower population base, and/or being located off a major thoroughfare.

This couple brought me a menu to thank me for helping them discover a jewel that not only was great in its own right--but also reminded them of their times in foreign countries.

I thanked them for the menu--and for reminding me about Ito's. It's been at least a month since I've been there--and that has to be remedied.

But here's something I did learn recently from another antiques dealer, who is a huge Ito's fan--Ito's makes a wicked green tea latte. My friend brought me one from Ito's--and yes, it was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment